- Accounting / Accounts Payable
Accounting / Finance Administration
The Finance Department manages the daily operations of all of the city's financial activity.
Major areas of responsibility include:
- Accounting / Accounts Payable: This division is responsible for maintaining the financial records of the City of Huntsville. Responsibilities include maintaining the general ledger, processing and recording all receipts and disbursements of funds, recording fixed assets, payroll, reconciling records with the depository bank and other agencies, management of inventory, reporting of financial information on City grants, assisting external auditors and reporting financial results to The City Council, City Management, City departments, citizens and other agencies as needed.
- Budget: This division is responsible for producing, monitoring, and reporting the City's annual operating budget. The City of Huntsville's fiscal year begins October 1 through September 30. The budget, as adopted by Council, takes effect on the first day of the fiscal year (October 1) and is subject to change or amendment by formal action of the City Council. The City of Huntsville has received the GFOA'S Distinguished Budget Presentation Award for its Budget for the last 36 years. See Budget Documents.
- Financial Reporting: Responsible for the city's internal and external financial reporting. Oversees the preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR). The CAFR is a thorough, detailed presentation of the city's financial activities during its fiscal year. The city has received the Certificate of Achievement In Financial Reporting for its annual report for the last 46 years. This is the highest form of recognition in governmental financial reporting.
- Treasury Investments: Responsible for cash management and investment of funds. It is also includes the daily transferring and settling of depository funds, investing excess funds and reporting investments in accordance with the Texas Public Funds Investment Act and the City Investment Policy. It also includes maintaining working relationships with the City's depository bank, authorized broker/dealers, and the City's safekeeping agent.
- Purchasing:The purpose of Purchasing Services is to provide a systematic and efficient procurement and surplus disposition operation for all City operations so that City employees can have the equipment and supplies they need to be as efficient as possible in their service to the citizens of Huntsville.
- Utility Billing: The Utility Billing division provides customer service, bills and collects for water, wastewater and solid waste services, assists with service requests and provides information related to billing and services. The division also acts as a collection point for monies received by other City departments.
- Municipal Court: The Municipal Court provides administrative support for the City of Huntsville's municipal court proceedings. The Municipal Court is responsible for the collection of fines, fees, and State costs: filing citations/complaints; court scheduling; issuing, tracking, and clearing warrants; maintaining court records and reporting collection, conviction, and statistical data to the appropriate State agencies.